- April 14-16, 9am-4pm
- $150 current members/$175 new members (includes one year membership at Friend Level)
- Call 870-862-5474 to register
When you take a Richard Stephens workshop you will be exposed to three main things: informative technical information sprinkled with humor and antidotes, entertaining and educational painting demonstrations and lots of one on one time with Richard as he helps you through your individual painting process. Richard has a true passion for watercolor and enjoys the opportunity to share his knowledge and experience with students of all levels.
A day starts with a short presentation on the “topic of the day” determined by the level and interest of the class. It is not so much a lecture as it is a conversation. Richard encourages feedback and questions as he feels we learn from each other and everyone has something important to share.
Richard will do at least one complete painting demonstration a day. He constantly explains what he is doing, and more importantly, why. Most demonstrations last about an hour and the students learn techniques, creative use of the “tools” of watercolor such as brush choice and manipulation, color mixing and water/pigment relationship. There is always strong emphasis on the elements and principals of design.
After the demonstration the class will start on their own paintings. Richard offers individual advice as per subject selection, designing the image on the page and technique based on the unique style and goal of each student.
Richard Stephens’ watercolor workshop is informative, challenging and fun. It is not about competition or turning out a great painting during the workshop. It is about being exposed to a process of watercolor painting that has been successful for him and perhaps some of that process finding a voice with the students and their work.
• Richard has enjoyed a successful 45-year career as a freelance commercial artist/graphic designer in the advertising/marketing industry.
• In 2005 Richard was named by “Watercolor Magic Magazine” as one of the top 10 emerging watercolorist in the country in their annual “Ones to Watch” issue.
• In 2007 “Watercolor Magic” featured Richard’s workshop and teaching philosophy in a 7-page article titled “Planning to Succeed”.
• In 2008 Richard had 3 paintings featured in “Splash 10”, a publication that comes out every 2 years published by North Light Books featuring the top watercolorist in America and their approach to a particular technique or concept. That year the theme was brushwork.
• Richard wrote an article for the “Creativity Workshop” section of the June, 1013 edition of Watercolor Artist magazine.
• Richard has been awarded signature status in several watercolor societies around the country having had work juried in their shows a certain number of times. He has won awards in many of these shows, including Gold Awards.
• During the past 15 years Richard has been teaching workshops around the country and serving as juror for numerous watercolor competitions and shows.
• Richard has one of his paintings, Back Porch America, has been included in SPLASH Retrospective: 20 Years of Contemporary Watercolor Excellence, edited by Rachel Wolf.